REASONS TO STUDY THE BIBLE

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture* is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

*All scripture includes both the Old and New Testaments. I say that because I've heard that many preachers don't believe the Old Testament is relevant to us. But if you read this complete Bible study you will see that that is a false statement. Read further to find out why I say that. It's an exciting Bible study.



The Bible tells us in the Old Testament that King David was not a perfect man; yet God told Saul that because he had not obeyed God’s commandments that David would replace him as king; and that David was "man after God's own heart". Why would God call David that after he had committed both adultery and murder? Because after David sinned, he sincerely repented (was sorry for his sins and was willing to turn away from them); and he asked God’s forgiveness for them. He then had a change of heart and wanted to live in obedience to God. Then David asks this of God...


Psalm 51:10
Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.


David also said that learning the Bible would help him to not sin against God.


Psalms 119:11
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.


And here are some Psalms and Proverbs showing what God’s Word meant to David, and the benefits of living by It. Hopefully, his example will create in us a desire to study the Bible and obey it.


Even when he was troubled, David was strengthened by God’s Word.


Psalms 119:28
My soul melteth for heaviness: strengthen thou me according unto thy word.


David believed that following God’s precepts would result in righteous living.


Psalm 119:40
Behold, I have longed after thy precepts: quicken me in thy righteousness.


David trusted in God’s Word to help him when criticized by others.


Psalm 119:42
So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: for I trust in thy word.


David found freedom in following God’s precepts. When you obey God's word you will be free of the guilt of sin.


Psalm 119:45
And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.


David found comfort from the Word of God in his affliction.


Psalm 119:50
This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.


Even when ridiculed, David obeyed God’s law.


Psalm 119:51
The proud have had me greatly in derision: yet have I not declined from thy law.


David had hope because of God’s Word.


Psalm 119:74
They that fear thee will be glad when they see me; because I have hoped in thy word.


In the following Proverbs we find good reasons to want to study God’s Word and apply it to our daily lives.


To get wisdom, knowledge and understanding


Proverbs 2:6
For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.


For length of days, long life, and peace


Proverbs
3:1 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:


3:2 For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.


To be wise and not refuse to listen to instruction.


Proverbs 8:33
Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not.


If you are wise, you will learn from God’s commandments; a fool will not be instructed.


Proverbs 10:8
The wise in heart will receive commandments: but a prating fool shall fall.


If you fear (honor and reverence) God’s commandments, you will be rewarded.


Proverbs 13:13
Whoso despiseth the word shall be destroyed: but he that feareth the commandment shall be rewarded.


If you learn by reproof (criticism), you shall be honored.


Proverbs 13:18
Poverty and shame shall be to him that refuseth instruction: but he that regardeth reproof shall be honoured.


If you refuse to hear God’s law, your prayers will be an abomination [hateful; sinful] to God.


Proverbs 28:9
He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.


God’s Word is pure because He is pure. He shields those who trust in Him.


Proverbs 30:5
Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.